I am a sucker for any mexican dish and have always loved enchiladas but never made them myself. I came across this easy to make recipe for Chicken Enchiladas and it looked so delicious I knew I just had to cook it for dinner. It was quite amazing (chicken, cheese, yummy sauce, what more could you want??)
Tasty chicken enchiladas with 2 kinds of cheese. Can be prepared up to 2 days ahead of time for a quick and easy meal.
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts trimmed & pounded if necessary
- Salt & pepper
- 2 1/2 cups of enchilada sauce (store bought or from scratch)
- 1 cup finely crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese
- 1 (4 oz.) can of green chiles
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 12 (6-inch) soft corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil spray (or you can use vegetable oil in a little bowl with a brush)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the chicken and enchilada sauce in a medium saucepan & simmer for 10-15 minutes over medium-low heat. Then flip the chicken over, cover and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes until chicken reaches 160-165 degrees with an instant-read thermometer.
- Remove chicken from pan and shred into bite-sized pieces. Combine shredded chicken, 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce, queso fresco, chiles and cilantro in a bowl. Add salt and pepper if desired. Cover to keep warm.
- Lightly coat both sides of 6 tortillas with vegetable oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake until tortillas are soft & pliable, about 2 to 4 minutes.
- Quickly place tortillas on a flat surface and place 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture into each one. Tightly roll each tortilla around the chicken and place in a 9×13 baking dish. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for the remaining 6 tortillas.
- Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees. Pour 1 more cup of enchilada sauce over the tortillas and sprinkle with the cheddar cheese. Cover with foil and bake for about 10 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 3 to 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Serve with remaining enchilada sauce, optional lime wedges and optional sour cream.
To make ahead, complete through step 5, cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge for up to 2 days. Begin with step 6 when ready to cooking but do not cover. Bake for 10-20 minutes or until warm.