|Pumpkin and Chicken Tagine|
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 35 minutes Total Time: 50 minutes Servings: 6
A pumpkin and chicken tagine (a Moroccan style stew) that is just packed with fall flavours!
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound skinless and boneless chicken (or turkey) breasts or thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
1 onion, diced
1 tablespoon garlic, grated
1 tablespoon ginger, grated
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
4 cups ( 2 pounds) pumpkin, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 cups ( 1 pound) apple, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 tablespoon harissa
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 preserved lemon, pith removed and diced
1 pinch saffron threads, crushed
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted (optional)
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional)
1/4 cup plain yogurt (optional)
1/4 cup pomegranate (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or tagine over medium-high heat, add the chicken and cook until lightly browned on all sides before setting aside.
- Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and cayenne pepper and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, chicken, pumpkin, apple, harisa, honey, cranberries, preserved lemon, saffron threads, salt and pepper, bring to a boil, reduce the head and simmer until the pumpkin is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Serve over cous cous or rice or quinoa, etc. topped with the almonds, cilantro and yogurt.
Option: Use skin on and bone in chicken thighs, legs or drumstick instead of the skinless and boneless chicken breasts or thighs. Sear the skins in the pan until browned and then increase the cook time to 30 minutes.
Option: Replace the chicken with 2 (15 ounce) cans of chickpeas for vegetarian version.
Option: Replace the pumpkin with another sweet winter squash like a butternut squash or kobacha, etc.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 354, Fat 14g (Saturated 3g, Trans 0), Cholesterol 66mg, Sodium 88mg, Carbs 33g (Fiber 7g, Sugars 20g), Protein 24g
Source: Closet Cooking