Try a simple and exotic Lebanese lamb fatayer with a simple dough and an incredible spice mixture. This is a Lebanese version of a calzone and will be a family favorite and fun to make too!
Course Main dish
Cuisine Middle Eastern
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Servings: 4 pieces
1 3/4 cup flour all purpose
3/4 cup warm water (about 100’F)
2 tsp yeast rapid rise
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp salt
8 oz lamb ground
1 tsp olive oil
1 onion dices
2 garlic cloves minced
1 Roma tomato cored, seeded, and diced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp allspice
3/4 tsp zatar
1 Tbsp curly parsley chopped for garnish
1 egg beaten with 1 Tbsp. water for egg wash
1/2 tsp nigella seeds for sprinkling
- In a large bowl place flour and salt and mix well.
- In a small bowl place the warm water (the water should be between 100-110’F)). Add the yeast and sugar, stir lightly and let it sit until frothy ( this will take about 5-10 minutes).
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour and blend well until a soft dough forms.
- Rub a deep bowl with olive oil and place the dough inside the oven. Cover and let it sit until double in size (between 1-2 hours).
- Preheat panggangan to 400’F
- Turn dough onto a floured surface. Punch down and knead for about 5 minutes.
- Roll dough into the shape of a cylinder, and cut into 6 equal parts.
- To make the filling, heat the oil in a non stick skillet and saute the onion and garlic until translucent. Add the tomatoes, and the ground lamb.
- Use a spatula to break lamb into small pieces, and sprinkle in the salt, allspice and zatar.
- Cook completely.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts, and roll out each part into a 9″ x 3″ oval.
- Place filling down the center of the oval and then brush around the edges with the egg wash.
- Pinch the top and bottom of the oval to create a boat shape, and fold sides inwards.
- Place individual fatayer on a baking sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal. Sprinkle each individual fatayer with nigella seeds.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until fatayer appears golden and crispy. Garnish each fatayer with chopped parsley.