This recipe showcases the Lebanese version of the popular Moussaka eggplant sautee.
Moussaka Ingredients (4 servings)
3 medium size eggplants (about 1.5 lbs total)
1 medium size garlic head
2 large onions (yellow or white)
2 large tomatoes (1.5 lbs)
1 large green peppers
1/2 cup of quality olive oil
a dash of cayenne pepper
a dash of salt
Moussaka Preparation Method
- Chop the vegetables in chunks as in the photos. The eggplant in cubes of about 1.5 inches, onions cut in length, tomatoes in chunks.
- Add the eggplant and onions with the oil and salt to a stew pot and sautee on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and green peppers to the pot, mix , lower the heat, and then let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cayenne pepper, mix in, close the lid, and let simmer for 20 minutes while mixing the pot every few minutes. The lid has to be closed so the juice doesn’t evaporate as quickly from the tomatoes.
- Once ready, let cool down and serve cold (hence the name) along with pita bread and an optional side of garden veggies such as mint, and green onions.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 35 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Middle Eastern
Source: Mama’s Lebanese Kitchen.