Freekeh and Chicken Soup is an Algerian origin soup – we highly recommend this soup for your regular Iftar sajian in Ramadan. Any other month of the year, you can have it for lunch or dinner.
Celery, diced 50 g
Chicken breast, diced 500 g
Onion, finely chopped 100 g
Carrot, diced 100 g
Garlic, crushed 20 g
Knorr Tomato Pronto (6x2kg) 180 g
Sweet paprika 10 g
Chilli, powder 3 g
Black Pepper, crushed 2 g
Water 1.30 l
Knorr Chicken Stock Powder (6x1100g) 30 g
Freekeh 60 g
Chickpeas, boiled, drained 100 g
Mint, dry 3 g
Coriander leaves chopped 20 g
Lemon wedges, to serve 20 pc
Prepare the soup
1. In a large cooking pot, warm olive oil over medium heat, add chicken pieces and cook a few minutes until Brown color. Remove chicken and set aside. Meanwhile wash and chop coriander stems.
2. In the same cooking pot over low-medium heat sauté onion, carrot and celery until onions are translucent and soft. Add garlic and chopped coriander stems fry for 1 minutes.
3. Add Knorr tomato Pronto cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring often.
4. Add paprika, chili powder and black pepper, return chicken and cook for another minute or so, again stirring often.
5. Add water, Knorr Chicken Stock Powder, increase heat and bring to boil then cover and reduce heat to a simmer allow to cook for 10 minutes before adding freekeh and cooking for another 30-40 minutes.
6. Add chickpeas to the soup, simmer for about 10 minutes.
7. Serve warm with lemon wedges and coriander leaves on the side so that people can add a squeeze of lemon juice or drizzle of olive oil if desired.