|Photo: Date stuffed semolina cookies (Ma’amoul) recipe|
The kitchen (The Home of Delicious Arabic Food Recipes) invites you to try Date stuffed semolina cookies (Ma’amoul) Recipe. Enjoy the Arabic Cuisine and learn how to make Date stuffed semolina cookies (Ma’amoul).
2 cups soft pitted dates, chopped
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon or cardamom
2 cups ground walnuts or pistachios
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup rose water
1 cup butter
½ cup milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups fine semolina flour
¼ cup sugar
2 tablespoons orange blossom water
Icing sugar, for serving (optional)
– Mix dates, oil, sesame seeds, and cinnamon or cardamom to a paste. Shape into small balls the size of hazelnuts.
– Mix walnuts or pistachios with sugar and rose water.
Fillings can be made right before shaping and baking the dough.
– In a saucepan over medium heat, bring butter and milk to a boil. Mix all-purpose flour, semolina flour, and sugar in a large bowl. Pour hot milk mixture into flour mixture all at once, beating constantly with a wooden spoon until cool. Using your fingertips, rub in orange blossom water until fully incorporated.
– Cover with kitchen towel and let set for at least 3 hours (or preferably overnight).
– Preheat panggangan to 180˚C (350˚F).
– Knead dough by hand for 5 minutes until soft and pliable. Shape dough into walnut-size balls. Press thumb into balls to make cups. Fill cups with balls of date or a generous teaspoon of nut filling. Mold dough over filling, pressing seams to seal. Roll into balls. If desired, press balls into decorated molds, tapping them out onto a work surface. Arrange on a baking sheet.
– Bake on middle rack of panggangan for 25 minutes, or until golden.
– Let cool, then arrange on a serving plate. Sprinkle with icing sugar before serving, if desire